Kelley Christopher, eCore Instructor and New Textbook Author


Kelley Christopher is an instructor in the Department of Sociology and Criminology at the University of West Georgia, and an eCore Instructor. 

In her experience teaching Intro to Criminology classes, Kelley found that hugely relevant issues within the criminal justice system such as female offenders, corrections, capital punishment, and race, were not adequately covered in many introductory books. In an effort to fulfill that need, she recently co-edited a textbook titled "Filling in the Gaps" to cover those specific topics.

Please take a minute to learn a little more about Professor Kelley Christopher!


Where did you complete your degree(s)? 
New Mexico State University and Troy University for graduate work. I completed my undergrad work at Southern Oregon University.

What drew you to your field of expertise? 
My fascination with human behavior; particularly deviant and criminally deviant behavior. What is notfascinating about human behavior? And it does not matter that I have studied criminal deviance for 35 years; these folks still fascinate me.

How long have you taught eCore classes? 
Since 2010

Why did you choose to become a college instructor? 
I love being with students and being able to witness their own passion for knowledge come to life.

What do you like most about teaching online? 
Being able to “chat” with students at all hours and the flexibility that online teaching offers. We also get students who live in other states/countries and they often add depth and a different perspective to sociological issues.

What was your most challenging subject in school, and how did you get through it? 
Oh my goodness; anything that even remotely resembled math. Of any kind. Ever. I labored through it several times before I finally passed during my undergrad work. I was an embarrassment!

What do you like to do in your free time? 
I have a 4 year old grandson who (seriously) did hang the moon. I love just being with him; he is one of the funniest people I have ever known! I also love the work in my yard… pulling weeds and planting. There is something very grounding about having your hands in the earth that I need.

What’s your favorite movie of all time? 
It would probably be The Color Purple. My favorite line is, “I think it p*******s God off when we walk by the color purple and don’t notice it.”

If you had to choose a different profession, what would it be? 
Seriously an awful thought since I love teaching….but if I really had to choose, I would be working with The Innocence Project. Hands down my ultimate dream job.

If you won the lottery, what would you do with your winnings? 
Pay off my and my Mom’s houses, provide homes for my children and siblings, and invest the rest so I could have a comfortable retirement and be able to leave my kids some money.

What is something interesting about you that your students would be surprised to know? 
I love to “remodel” my home/s. I have all my own tools~seriously. I love the Home Depot and Lowes. You can take me to Tiffany’s once in my lifetime and take me to Lowes every weekend and I would be fine with that. I can do anything except electric work. I got zapped by a water heater about 15 years ago and that was the last time I fooled with anything electric (you only need to get hit with a 220 once before you learn not to do that again).

What advice do you have for students taking online classes for the first time? 
Stay on top of the reading and assignment schedule and if a wrench gets thrown into your mix, let your professor know right away. I will work with anyone who I believe is operating with integrity and am less willing when I think someone is being shady with me. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment